Last week, I was on my period. Although it’s different for every woman, I’m the sort that definitely becomes overly emotional during that time. I like to believe that I usually do a good job keeping those emotions in check and under wraps during that time (though my Mom is always quick to tell me differently, saying she can always tell when I’m on my period or not), but this past week was a bit more of a struggle than usual.
Perhaps it was paired with the dreary weather (which I usually love). Perhaps it was tied with the fact that said weather made it difficult to work out and release those happy hormones I’ve become so addicted to. Perhaps it’s simply just that kind of week with no other reason attached. I can’t nail it down, but for most of the week, I’ve been in a bit of funk, emotionally; focusing on the few negative aspects of my life instead of focusing on the positives. The past two days, especially, my head space has been completely zoned in on the negative, focusing on things like some frustration at work, stress over money, worry over my complicated relationship status, fear of the future, fear regarding change, mixed emotions about figuring out who I want to be as a person (and how that person is shaped by others juxtaposed by how I shape myself), stress regarding missed runs, bad eating days or sleeping in too late, amongst plenty of other things.
I wanted to focus on something to help get my brain back into a positive head space, regardless of how my hormones are functioning and attempt to raise my mood so I don’t end the week still feeling a sense of…well, just, “Blah.” So I thought I’d make a list, a friendly reminder, of some of the good things that went on this week or are happening in the near future–not to brag or rub it in, but just to remind myself that despite the other things I’m dealing with, they are some good things to focus on and remember; things I can potentially distract myself with whenever those negative thoughts above try to take over.
- Puppy videos posted on my Facebook timeline.
- That feeling I get when working on anything writing related–and actually sticking with my new writing schedule.
- A pair of arms wrapped around me, making me feel safe and cherished, before I fall asleep.
- A last-minute lunch date with mi padre.
- Plot twists in the book I’m reading.
- Getting precision kills in Destiny 2.
- Looking at the calendar and seeing plans every Saturday for the next month (including a 5K Breast Cancer run, RenFest, a book fair, a Break Out Room and potentially some new ink).
- My birthday is in less than 30 days (eep!).
- The start of the holiday season is upon us.
- Trying out new recipes.
- The promise of making cookies over the weekend.
- Feeling like a stud wearing a pair of jeans.
- Staying in touch with far away friends via email.
- Crossing things off the To-Do List.
- Being heard in conversations.
- The promise of good things in the future (trying to combat the fear/focus of negative things awaiting in the future).
- Spending an afternoon looking up things to get everyone for Christmas.
- The smell of a forested-trail after a fresh rain.
- Seeing so much wildlife during a run.
- Surprise visits at work from my man.
- My sleeve (tattoo) finally healing and looking really good.
- Getting all the circles filled on my FitBit app.
- Awesome conversations with my students at work.
Reading through that list, my heart feels a lot lighter than it has the past couple of days. Doesn’t mean that those things I’m dealing with aren’t present in my life anymore; doesn’t mean there aren’t still some things to address or be aware of. But it’s nice to remind myself that there is always something good going on, even if your brain convinces you otherwise.
What about you? If you’re reading this post, I’d seriously LOVE to see your own list of good things that happened this week (or are about to happen or just generally make you happy) to appear down in the comments (or maybe in a post all your own). I want to hear all about it. Let’s kick off the weekend with a little positivity, eh?