Week One of my Quest for Discovery was about what you’d expect the first week of resolution hunting to go: I panicked under the pressure of wanting to achieve all of these goals at once, feeling extra pressure “starting with a fresh plate,” so the goals I wanted to mainly focus on this year–writing and fitness–weren’t accomplished. It’s was a mental game that I failed, because I got so caught up in that idea of, “It’s the New Year, you have a new chance to chase after everything you want to change about yourself and if you mess up, you’ll fail utterly,” that I didn’t complete what I wanted to; even though I’ve been working on many of these goals since last year, and a hiccup here and there doesn’t derail me at all. Not to mention I didn’t factor in going back to work after two weeks off and how busy I was trying to catch up with that.
So. I had some success, I had some hiccups. But, unlike what I used to do–feel like a failure and get disappointed and then give up–I’m going to make new goals and continue pushing forward.
Because these dreams are too important to me to give up on.
Long-Term Goal: Write two new books and edit two books. Enter the query trenches.
Last Week’s Goal: Map out an online of the second narrative arc (namely, pick tropes I want to twist). Pick out some steampunk reads.
- Status: Negative, Commander. I had this on my To-Do list all week, yet I had a lot of other things on there, too. Every day, it felt like I just ran out of time. Yet I’m not panicking, as I still have plenty of time to get research and plotting done this week and still be able to start writing by the 15th.
Weekly Goal: Research tropes. Map out second narrative arc. Make gameplan in WriteTrack. Prep for starting novel next week.
Long-Term Goal: Read every day, finishing up some old series and keeping up with new ones.
Last Week’s Goal: Finishing Age of Assassins. Read during my lunch breaks. Write review.
- Status: Affirmative, Commander. I’m going to count this one as a success, even though I didn’t finish the book or write the review. Why, you ask? Because I have less than 90 pages left and my real, true goal was to read every day during my lunch break, which I did. It felt fantastic.
Weekly Goal: Finish Age of Assassins. Write review (and Necrotech review?). Start new steampunk novel.
Long-Term Goal: Continue living a healthy lifestyle and shaping a body I love and am proud of.
Last Week’s Goal: Do body exercises 3x. Log food.
- Status: Negative, Commander. I didn’t do any of the indoor exercises I wanted to do, though I finally did get some sheets printed and sorted so I can do some this week. I logged my food for half of the week, but somehow continued to forget to log the sweets. Yet, after my period this week, I weighed again and am happy that two pounds of what I had gained was period weight, so over the holidays, I actually only gained two pounds total, instead of almost five. I count that as a win in and of itself.
Weekly Goal: Exercise indoors 3x. Log food…accurately.
Long-Term Goal: Learn to have a healthy relationship with money and build my savings.
Weekly Goal: Reevaluate budget and get it to a manageable state.
- Status: Affirmative, Commander. I went back through my budget and adjusted my spending amount, increasing it slightly to match the average of what I usually spent in a month last year, as well as added in putting in $100 into savings every month. Now, to see it go into action.
Weekly Goal: Put money into savings. Don’t spend any extra money that I don’t have to.
Long-Term Goal: Reconnect with God and grow personally to live more like Jesus.
Last Week’s Goal: Look up some different devotionals and find one I like. Discuss with Mom and make a game plan of when to touch base (because she’s doing with this me *fistpump*).
- Status: Affirmative, Commander. My Mom and I found one that we both like and are excited to try. It should be in the mail early next week.
Weekly Goal: Pick up book from my parents. Come up with reading and check-in gameplan with my Mom to implement next week.
Long-Term Goal: Find a reason to smile every day and something to get excited about weekly.
Last Week’s Goal: Get to Meridian in Horizon Zero Dawn. Have a blast catching up with old friends and at the fantasy football party.
- Status: Affirmative, Commander. After reaching Level 35, I finally decided to start doing the main quest and go to Meridian. And wow, is that city gorgeous. Also went home yesterday for the fantasy football party to see the fam with the boyfriend and that was really nice, too. Not to mention getting dinner with two old high school friends, which was the highlight of last week.
Weekly Goal: Enjoy spending some time with my Dad after my eye doctor appointment. Try not to kill Edward after watching Battlestar Galactica.
It’s funny, after reading through my goals last week and writing out this week’s, how I consider last week a “failure” overall, since I didn’t succeed in writing or working out. Yet I did a pretty good job on all the other ones, considering. Just another example of how harsh we can be on ourselves and how forgiveness–and understanding and a reality check, to be honest–is not a bad thing to heed at all.
Now? Time to crush Week Two.