I hope that you’re hanging in there and you are staying healthy, the weather is nice where you are, no matter what season it is and that you are able to get vaccinated ASAP, if you haven’t already.
This month was a hard one, especially for the Asian and AAPI communities. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, you can see a summary of events here, though white violence against the Asian community obviously did not start a mere two weeks ago, despite recent innocent deaths and violent murder making headlines.
Please listen to the Asians in your community. Please support them–and not just after a horrific event, but year round. Stop Asian hate and support Asian voices.
I started this “series” of blog posts in 2020 to share more resources to help with each of our own anti-racist journeys. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the fact that many of the resources I’m linking down below come from the hard work of those on the Anti-Racist Daily team, to which I subscribe for daily email updates. Many of the readings, actions and donation links come from what I learn from their articles. As such, I have become a monthly patreon donor, because you need to pay BIPOC people for the work they do in helping dismantle racism, not just take what you can for free. I hope you consider subscribing and supporting them, too, especially if you are a white reader.
Like I mentioned before, while a lot of these resources are tied and focused to the Black Lives Matter movement, I have started to incorporate other resources about more global events, as well.
Please keep the comments kind and constructive–though, please never hesitate to call me out if I’ve misstepped, if you are comfortable doing that emotional labor you shouldn’t have to do in the first place. I appreciate your assistance in helping me learn and continue to grow into the actual ally I want to be.
Last caveat: I listed a bunch of resources, because I hope you will click on the links and listen to the Black voices who are speaking up, instead of hearing my take. I’m using this as a space to amplify their voices–not add my own commentary to the mix.
- ‘Why We Can’t Wait’ Letter Urges US Congress to Pass HR 40, Reparations Bill from Human Rights Watch
- The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates for The Atlantic
- The Atlanta shootings can’t be divorced from racism and misogyny by Li Zhou for Vox
- Learn the definition of “woke” by Nicole Cardoza for Anti-Racist Daily
- Why This Wave of Anti-Asian Racism Feels Different by Morgan Ome for The Atlantic
- The history of tensions — and solidarity — between Black and Asian American communities, explained by Jerusalem Demsas and Rachel Ramirez for Vox
- The answer to anti-Asian racism is not more policing by Kayla Hui for Prism
Videos and Podcasts
- Watch the documentary “Pay it No Mind-The Life and Times of Marsha P. Johnson”
- Listen to the “Teach Hard History” podcast.
- Watch the YouTube documentary series “Asian American Stories in the Time of Coronavirus”
Petitions to Sign
- Sign to demand reparations for slavery now.
- Sign to demand a fair trial in the trial of Derek Chauvin, one of the four police officers who are responsible for the murder of George Floyd.
- Sign in solidarity the Asian Americans Advancing Justice’s community-centered response to violence against Asian American Communities
- Sign to abolish the filibuster.
- Sign to protect free speech in Missouri.
- Check out this list of 125 Black-owned bookstores to make your next bookish purchase
- Explore the 15 Percent Pledge and see if you can encourage local businesses to take part or if you can do so an as individual!
- Support Black Owned Businesses year round (thank you so much to one of my readers, Emma, for sending this resource along!)
- Support Rachel Cargle’s “The Great Unlearn” Project (which you can also learn more about here).
- Subscribe to Layla F. Saad’s newsletter!
- Explore and utilize the Racial Equality tools
- Actions you can take to help combat anti-Asian violence
- Explore resources to stop Asian hate (there is another list of resources here)
Places to Donate
- Master List of over 147 places to donate: I’m going to continue always sharing this link, so that you (and myself) always have this master list to reference. However, I’m going to try and highlight a few different places each month, as well as other other locations I’ve found that aren’t on this list.
- Black Futures by Kimberly Drew and Jenna Wortham
- #HashtagActivism: Networks of Race and Gender Justice by Moya Bailey, Sarah J. Jackson and Brooke Foucault Welles
- Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America by Melissa V. Harris-Perry
- Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning by Cathy Park Hong
To Read For Fun
- The Dragon of Jin-Sayeng by K.S. Villoso (but, don’t forget to read the first two amazing books in the trilogy, first. Obviously.)
- The Red Palace by June Hur
- The Sword of Kaigen by M.L. Wang
Don’t forget to look not just at the problems at your home, but the problems around the world. Here’s a great place to start for various issues:
Black Lives Matter
Stop Asian Hate
Speak Up for The Uyghurs
This is the first time I’m seeing a post like this and I’m very glad to see it! Thanks for linking everything in one place! I’ll definitely refer back to this and watch for more posts in this series.
Thank you so much, Sumedha!! I try to do it once a month and I’m so glad it’s been helpful!!