Last Updated on April 26, 2021 by ThoughtsStained
This intro is really short this week, as I’m recovering from my COVID vaccine (though, obviously, even though my side effects have been intense, I would get it ten times over to ensure I’m protecting myself and others, so, if you have the opportunity to do so, GET YOUR VACCINE). Here is the latest allyship check-in post, with a round up of resources, reads and responses to help you stay engaged in the lifelong work of dismantling white supremacy.
I started this “series” of blog posts in 2020 to share more resources to help with each of our own anti-racist journeys. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the fact that many of the resources I’m linking down below come from the hard work of those on the Anti-Racist Daily team, to which I subscribe for daily email updates. Many of the readings, actions and donation links come from what I learn from their articles. As such, I have become a monthly patreon donor, because you need to pay BIPOC people for the work they do in helping dismantle racism, not just take what you can for free. I hope you consider subscribing and supporting them, too, especially if you are a white reader.
Like I mentioned before, while a lot of these resources are tied and focused to the Black Lives Matter movement, I have started to incorporate other resources about more global events, as well.
Please keep the comments kind and constructive–though, please never hesitate to call me out if I’ve misstepped, if you are comfortable doing that emotional labor you shouldn’t have to do in the first place. I appreciate your assistance in helping me learn and continue to grow into the actual ally I want to be.
Last caveat: I listed a bunch of resources, because I hope you will click on the links and listen to the Black voices who are speaking up, instead of hearing my take. I’m using this as a space to amplify their voices–not add my own commentary to the mix.
- The White Savior Industrial Complex by Teju Cole for The Atlantic
- How You Personally Can Fight the Anti-Trans Bills Surging Across the US by Sydney Bauer for Vice
- Look for your state if you’re American to see what specific actions you can take!
- College isn’t the solution for the racial wealth gap. It’s part of the problem. by Dorothy A. Brown for Washington Post
- Go Beyond Allyship by Andree Lee for Anti-Racism Daily
- This article highlighted plenty of extra resources, including:
- Accomplices Not Allies: Abolishing the Ally Industrial Complex by Indigenous Action
- What is the role for white people working for racial justice in this current period: a Joint Statement from the Organization for Black Struggle and the Anti-Racist Collective
- Talking About Race from the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- White Folks: It’s Too Late for ‘Allies’ by Rev. Dr. Stephany Rose Spaulding for Colorlines
- White Allies, Let’s Be Honest About Decolonization by Kyle Powys Whyte for yes!
- Whites Only: SURJ And The Caucasian Invasion Of Racial Justice Spaces by DiDi Delgado
Videos and Podcasts
- Listen to the Intersectionality Matters! Podcast by African American Policy Forum, hosted by Kimberlé Crenshaw
- RSVP to the ACLU Systemic Equality Action Series on YouTube (or, watch their recordings)
- Listen to Inner Field Trip podcast by Leesa Renée Hall
- Watch this Prezi Presentation on Slavery in the Making by Melinda Morris
Petitions to Sign
- Sign to demand protections for ALL voters!
- Sign to provide funding for more BIPOC counselors in public schools in Pennsylvania
- Sign to decriminalize sex work
- Sign to demand that the bodycam footage of the murder of 13 year-old Adam Toledo by the Chicago Police Department is released
- Sign to demand that the Chicago Police Department be DEFUNDED
- Sign for the Leaders’ Summit on Climate
- Explore the resources at Fair Fight to protect against voter suppression.
- Join the Good Ancestor Book Club, hosted by Layla F. Saad
- Support the Pixel Project to fight against violence against women.
- Sign the Collective Statement – A Community-Centered Response to Violence Against Asian American Communities from Asian Americans Advancing Justice Atlanta
- If you have resources you can share, fill out this form to help the AAPI Community
- Learn more about abolition and what defund the police means and entails.
- Demand that Governor Kelly veto the latest anti-trans bill to hit Kansas.
- Update: she vetoed it! 🎉
- Sign up for the Earth Week series led by BIPOC youth, organized through Anti-Racist Daily team
- Share your student debt story to help gain attention and put pressure to Cancel Student Debt!
- You can also donate and receive a Cancel Student Debt mask!
- Learn more about the Red Green New Deal from M4BL.
- Support the Fat Rose organization.
Places to Donate
- Master List of over 147 places to donate: I’m going to continue always sharing this link, so that you (and myself) always have this master list to reference. However, I’m going to try and highlight a few different places each month, as well as other other locations I’ve found that aren’t on this list.
- Donate to the New Georgia Project to help get unregistered voters registered!
- Donate to Active Minds to support Black children mental health resources.
- Donate to the Native American Rights Fund.
- Donate to G.L.I.T.S.
- Donate to the GoFundMe to support Daunte Wright’s family.
- Donate to Equality KS.
- Donate to the George Floyd Memorial Foundation.
- What White People Can Do Next: From Allyship to Coalition by Emma Dabiri
- When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by asha bandele, Angela Y. Davis and Patrisse Khan-Cullors
To Read For Fun
- Mindful Moves: Kid-Friendly Yoga and Peaceful Activities for a Happy, Healthy You by Nicole Cardoza
- The Unbroken by C.L. Clark (I think I’ve already recced this, but I don’t care, everyone needs to read this, it is SO GOOD)
- The Forest of Stolen Girls by June Hur
Don’t forget to look not just at the problems at your home, but the problems around the world. Below is list of resources that is a great place to start for many different issues: