Last Updated on May 27, 2021 by ThoughtsStained
Here is the latest allyship check-in post, with a round up of resources, reads and responses to help you stay engaged in the lifelong work of dismantling white supremacy.
I started this “series” of blog posts in 2020 to share more resources to help with each of our own anti-racist journeys. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the fact that many of the resources I’m linking down below come from the hard work of those on the Anti-Racist Daily team, to which I subscribe for daily email updates. Many of the readings, actions and donation links come from what I learn from their articles. As such, I have become a monthly patreon donor, because you need to pay BIPOC people for the work they do in helping dismantle racism, not just take what you can for free. I hope you consider subscribing and supporting them, too, especially if you are a white reader.
Like I mentioned before, while a lot of these resources are tied and focused to the Black Lives Matter movement, I have started to incorporate other resources about more global events, as well.
Please keep the comments kind and constructive–though, please never hesitate to call me out if I’ve misstepped, if you are comfortable doing that emotional labor you shouldn’t have to do in the first place. I appreciate your assistance in helping me learn and continue to grow into the actual ally I want to be.
Last caveat: I listed a bunch of resources, because I hope you will click on the links and listen to the Black voices who are speaking up, instead of hearing my take. I’m using this as a space to amplify their voices–not add my own commentary to the mix.
- The Chauvin Verdict, Ma’khia Bryant’s Killing and Why We Must Resist Settling for the Breadcumbs of Justice by Dr. Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw for AAPF
- Black and Asian Feminist Solidarity Letter from a partnership by By Black Women Radicals and the Asian American Feminist Collective
- Recognize U.S.-sponsored Brutality by Andrew Lee for Anti-Racism Daily.
- Also, check out the resources this article linked, to learn more about what is happening in Palestine:
- Background: The Israeli Occupation by Amnesty International
- Sheikh Jarrah residents speak out on Israel’s forced expulsions by Ibrahim Husseini for Aljazeera
- Israel steps up Gaza offensive, kills senior Hamas figures by Fares Akram and Josef Federman for AP
- U.S. vetoes U.N. resolution denouncing violence against Palestinians by Reuters
- As a white person, I have to be more than an ally – I have to be a race traitor by Jamie Saoirse O’Duibhir for The Tempest
- Talking About Race: Whiteness from NMAAHC
- What’s My Complicity? Talking White Fragility With Robin DiAngelo by Adrienne Van der Valk and edited by Anya Malley for Learning for Justice
- Part One and Part Two of A Series on Whiteness by Quinn Norton on Medium
- Race as a Social Construct by Dr. Gordon Hodson for Psychology Today
- The history white people need to learn by Mary-Alice Daniel for salon
Videos and Podcasts
- 3 Ways the Media Enables Racist Violence by USCPR on YouTube
- How to Talk to Kids About Race from The Atlantic on YouTube
Petitions to Sign
- Demand the return of human child remains back to their family
- Tell your Congressperson to pass the BREATHE Act
- Fight against the banning of peoples and groups by telling Congress to stop future banning of Muslims
- Put pressure on our government (if you’re American) to lift patents so the vaccine can be widely distributed across the world.
- Sign to demand the end of US complicity in Israel’s abuse of Palestinians
- Use this action guide, created by the US Campaign for Palestinian Rights, to help combat the apartheid and genocide happening in Palestine
- Learn more about actions you can take to help support Abolition May, organized by Cops Off Campus Coalition
- Write to President Biden and demand he cancel student loan debt by executive action.
- Diversify your shopping by checking out Shop Latinx!
- Support Families for All.
- Explore different ways to help support Palestine.
- Educate yourself on the history and myths of Palestine.
- Read and support the Black and Asian Feminist Solidarity series.
- Follow and support creators like Anne Castro and Evelyn.
Places to Donate
- Master List of over 147 places to donate: I’m going to continue always sharing this link, so that you (and myself) always have this master list to reference. However, I’m going to try and highlight a few different places each month, as well as other other locations I’ve found that aren’t on this list.
- YUCCA (Youth United for Climate Change Action)
- Ongoing fundraisers to help with COVID-19 disasters in India
- Also, check out these donation links to help out in Brazil
- Sponsor a child in foster care!
- Learn how much taxpayer money is used to fund Israeli weapons and donate to combat that.
- Support the Palestine Youth Movement
- Help fund the School for Black Feminist Politics
- Donate to the AAPI Therapist Directory & Scholarship Fund
- Critical Race Theory (Third Edition): An Introduction by Richard Delgado, Jean Stefancic, Angela Harris (Foreword by)
- A Threshold Crossed: Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution by Human Rights Watch
- How the Irish Became White by Noel Ignatiev
- When Race Becomes Real: Black and White Writers Confront Their Personal Histories edited by Bernestine Singley
- Bearing Witness While Black: African Americans, Smartphones, and the New Protest #Journalism by Dr. Allissa V. Richardson
To Read For Fun
Don’t forget to look not just at the problems at your home, but the problems around the world. Below is list of resources that is a great place to start for many different issues: