Last Updated on December 21, 2023 by ThoughtsStained
Welcome to the latest in my Allyship Check-In series! This series shares resources to help each of us live more antiracist lives. It contains articles, blog posts, multimedia, book recommendations, petitions and more. I started this series in 2020 and am very glad I’ve kept up with it since.
These resources are curated by my own research and by sharing resources I’ve learned through, from various organizations, like: Anti-Racist Daily, Prism, The 19th, Them, Truthout and more. I hope this Allyship Check-In allows you to find something below that speaks to you!
Also, please consider supporting these organizations above. While I am simply linking up and sharing articles, they are the ones doing the work: the research, the reporting, the writing, the editing, the labor.
Let’s support their work, especially financially, so they can continue to do it.
This month’s Allyship Check-in is, as usual, heavy with reading material. Like November, it features a ton of resources and actions to support the people of Palestine, who are active targets of genocide right now by Israel. Please read. Please take action. The people of Palestine can’t survive alone. And the US government is currently enabling genocide by the day.
This cannot stand. No one is free until everyone is free. FREE PALESTINE.
- Tens of thousands gather for pro-Palestinian march in D.C. to demand Gaza cease-fire by Emma Bowman and Laurel Wamsley for NPR
- It’s Feminist to Demand a Ceasefire in Israel–Palestine by Judith Levine for The Intercept
- “Horror Show”: Doctors Without Borders Demands Permanent Ceasefire in Gaza, Medical Aid for Wounded from Democracy Now
- Why I am renouncing my Israeli citizenship by Nadav Gazit for Prism
- U.S. vetoes UN resolution for cease-fire as Israel ramps up airstrikes in Gaza by Amna Nawas and Eliot Barnhard for PBS
- UAW is the largest US union to call for a ceasefire in Gaza by Mindi Isser for Prism
- Palestinian authors grapple with a wave of censorship by Sarah Prager for Prism
- Palestinians sue Biden admin for failure to stop genocide in Gaza by Alexandra Martinez for Prism
- Death Toll from Israeli Strikes on Gaza and West Bank Tops 19,000 from Democracy Now
- US Veto of Ceasefire Resolution Reflects Its Colonial View on Whose Lives Matter by Aviva Chomsky for Truthout
- Allegations of Israeli War Crimes Grow as US Again Delays Security Council Vote by Mike Ludwig for Truthout
Actions To Take: Free Palestine
- A Humanitarian Crisis is Unfolding in Gaza. Here’s How You Can Help by Samantha Riedel for Them
- Use this guide to: sign petitions demanding a cease fire, email and call your representatives (if in the US), find protests and more
- Sign this petition demanding a ceasefire from Amnesty International or this petition to end the siege on Gaza
- Email Congress to demand a ceasefire
- Support fundraisers like Fundraiser for Palestinian Medics or Books for Palestine
- Put your name, money and time behind calls for an immediate ceasefire
- Read books (both nonfiction and fiction) by Palestinian authors
- Boycott companies against Palestine (learn more from the ARD)
- Democracy is What We Do by Sara Danver in her newsletter, How to Save Democracy, and Other Stories
- Why are newsrooms manufacturing consent for Palestinian genocide? by Kimberly Rooney 高小荣 and Saba Keramati for Prism
- Environmental pollution lawsuit may pump the breaks on Cop City construction by Jocelyn James for Prism
- Henry Kissinger Was a War Criminal Responsible for Millions of Deaths by Lex McMenamin for Teen Vogue
- Atlanta Stop Cop City activists continue push to abolish GILEE program amid the Palestinian genocide by Jocelyn James for Prism
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Rep. Hank Johnson reintroduce bill with emphasis on gun violence prevention by Jennifer Gerson for The 19th
- CO Supreme Court Uses Neil Gorsuch Ruling to Justify Blocking Trump From Ballot by Chris Walker for The 19th
- Opinion: This is a pandemic of attrition by Calgary Herald
- Dr. Ruth’s COVID news round-up is a must read, as well as the People’s CDC weekly report and Violet Blue’s Pandemic Round-up on Patreon
- Huge, Free COVID Safety List from Violet Blue
- Strategies to reduce COVID-19 infection and spread from the People’s CDC
- Study Shows Metformin Lowers Long COVID Risk by UNC Health Newsroom
Capitalism and Education
- Bosses thought they won the return-to-office wars by imposing rigid policies. Now they’re facing a wave of legal battles by Gleb Tsipursky for Fortune
- Pressley Bill Would Classify Discriminatory Book Bans as Civil Rights Violations by Sharon Zhang for Truthout
- Student loan repayments put a damper on holiday spending — especially for Gen Z and millennials by Nadra Nittle for The 19th
- Columbia Suspends Pro-Palestine Student Groups Amid Crackdown on Free Speech by Michael Arria for Truthout
- Israel-Palestine: ACLU Defends Campus Free Speech in Letter to Over 650 Colleges by Lex McMenamin for Teen Vogue
Other Miscellaneous Reads
- Gen Z set to outnumber baby boomers in the workforce in 2024, Glassdoor says by Laurel Kalser for HR Dive
- Christian Zionism and the Real ‘War on Christmas by Andrew Lee for The ARD
- SAG-AFTRA’s new contract falls short on protections from Artificial Intelligence by Laura Weiss for Prism
- Biden Becomes 8th President to Face Impeachment Inquiry in US History by Chris Walker for Truthout
- Amid Israel’s Brutality in Gaza, It’s Time to Commit to Anti-Zionism by Brant Rosen, Truthout
- The International Labor Movement Is Mobilizing for a Free Palestine by Shane Burley for Truthout
- A Federal Court Will Decide Whether Atlanta Voters Could Have a Say on Cop City by Cody Bloomfield for Truthout
- There’s No Welcome Committee Here from Ijeoma Oluo’s newsletter, Behind the Book
As always, I like to highlight different organizations, movements and areas to support financially in each Allyship Check-in, if you’re able. For 2023, I’ve decided to continue what I did in 2022. Therefore, I’ll commit to $20 a month to a different organization, for as long as it’s feasibly possible for me.
This month, I donated to Doctors Without Borders.
- The following options are reshared from a “weekend edition” article from the ARD team as places to donate to:
- Other places include: Palestine Children’s Relief Fun and Doctors Without Borders
- Support Malaika as they graduate their first cohort of students!
- Use this guide from the ARD to find various places to support financially
If you want to go deeper than articles or blog posts collected in this month’s Allyship Check-in, look no further! Check out the non-fiction below to learn more and dive deeper. Then, read, buy and promote the fiction books by BIPOC and queer authors–or, share your own recommendations in the comments.
- BE A REVOLUTION: How Everyday People Are Fighting Oppression and Changing the World by Ijeoma Oluo (pre-order now!!)
- Defying Displacement by Andrew Lee (pre-order now!!)
Thank you for reading and engaging with this latest Allyship Check-In post! I hope you learned something new, deepened your knowledge about important issues and found different ways to get involved.
These posts are always my least viewed. But I hope they continue to be helpful for those who do engage in this work. And, maybe, those who haven’t started will be encouraged to!