Welcome to the latest in my Allyship Check-In series! This series shares resources to help each of us live more antiracist lives. It contains articles, blog posts, multimedia, book recommendations, petitions and more. I started this series in 2020 and am very glad I’ve kept up with it since.
These resources are curated by my own research and by sharing resources I’ve learned through, from various organizations, like: Anti-Racist Daily, Prism, The 19th, Them, Truthout and more. I hope this Allyship Check-In allows you to find something below that speaks to you!
Also, please consider supporting these organizations above. While I am simply linking up and sharing articles, they are the ones doing the work: the research, the reporting, the writing, the editing, the labor.
Let’s support their work, especially financially, so they can continue to do it.
This month’s Allyship Check-in is, as usual, heavy with reading material. Like November, it features a ton of resources and actions to support the people of Palestine, who are active targets of genocide right now by Israel. Please read. Please take action. The people of Palestine can’t survive alone. And the US government is currently enabling genocide by the day.
This cannot stand. No one is free until everyone is free. FREE PALESTINE.
- US Abstains From UN Gaza Resolution After Lobbying to Weaken It by Brett Wilkins for Truthout
- As US Veto Power Enables Genocide, There Are Still UN Options to Protect Gaza by Marjorie Cohn for Truthout
- Biden Sticks by Israel as Bloody War on Gaza Threatens to Expand by Mike Ludwig for Truthout
- Israel Is Terrified the World Court Will Decide It’s Committing Genocide by Marjorie Cohn for Truthout
- No rescue: Palestine, representation, and global capitalism by William C. Anderson for Prism
- Columbia University students may call a tuition strike against Israeli apartheid by Nayanika Guha for Prism
- ICJ Finds It’s “Plausible” That Israel Is Committing Genocide in Initial Ruling by Sharon Zhang for Truthout
- US and Allies Withdraw Funding for UN in Gaza a Day After ICJ Genocide Ruling by Mondoweiss Palestine Bureau for Truthout
Actions To Take: Free Palestine
- A Humanitarian Crisis is Unfolding in Gaza. Here’s How You Can Help by Samantha Riedel for Them
- Use this guide to: sign petitions demanding a cease fire, email and call your representatives (if in the US), find protests and more
- Sign this petition demanding a ceasefire from Amnesty International or this petition to end the siege on Gaza
- Email Congress to demand a ceasefire
- Support fundraisers like Fundraiser for Palestinian Medics or Books for Palestine
- Put your name, money and time behind calls for an immediate ceasefire
- Read books (both nonfiction and fiction) by Palestinian authors
- Boycott companies against Palestine (learn more from the ARD)
- Big Oil Is Expanding Production. It’s Up to All of Us to Act to Stop Them. by Derek Seidman for Truthout
- Courts Aren’t Impartial or Apolitical. Trump Is Using That to His Advantage. by Dan Canon for Truthout
- Abolition Is a Global Movement. Here’s What We Learned From Allies Worldwide. by Victoria Law and Erica R. Meiners for Truthout
- What’s At Stake for LGBTQ+ Rights in 2024? by Nico Lang for Them
- With Supreme Court Set to Hear Trump Case, Clarence Thomas Is Urged to Recuse by Jon Queally for Truthout
- Despite Pledge to Avoid Broad Conflict, Biden Is Pushing War Across Middle East by Jake Johson for Truthout
- The 19th Explains: Why there’s growing momentum for paid leave policies by Mariel Padilla and Darreonna Davis for The 19th
- Protesters Interrupt Biden’s Speech in Charleston to Demand Gaza Ceasefire by Chris Walker for Truthout
- Restrictive voting laws have major implications for presidential election by Sravya Tadepalli for Prism
- Biden’s Base Revolts: Climate Activists Ramp Up Pressure Ahead of Super Tuesday by Candice Bernd for Truthout
- Naomi Klein: If Biden Wants to Stop Trump, He Should Step Down by Sharon Zhang for Truthout
- Use this Twitter account to see averages (currently at 1 out of 26 people infected with COVID)
- Opinion: The U.S. is facing the biggest COVID wave since Omicron. Why are we still playing make-believe? by Erin J. Topol for LA Times
- Join the People’s CDC’s efforts to demand masks in healthcare
- COVID news & more 1/27/24 from Dr. Ruth’s Newsletter
Capitalism and Education
- 10 Victories the Working Class Won in 2023 by Sarah Anderson for Inequality.org
- Right-Wing Christians Are Making Climate Apocalypse a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy by JP Sottile for Truthout
- In 41 States, Richest 1 Percent Pay Lowest Tax Rate of Any Group by Sharon Zhang for Truthout
- The End of Workplace Loyalty by Aki Ito for Business Outsider
- Study: Half of Renters Paid Unaffordable Rates in 2022, a Record High by Sharon Zhang for Truthout
- More Than Half of Americans Don’t Have Enough Savings to Cover $1,000 Expense by Chris Walker for Truthout
- Greedflation Accounts for 53 Cents of Every Dollar of Inflation in Past 6 Months by Chris Walker for Truthout
Other Miscellaneous Reads
- Clinging to Whiteness Offers False Safety – True Liberation Requires Upending It by George Yancy for Truthout
- ‘Manifesting a great life for myself’ by People Over Plastics
- A new child tax credit could pass this month. Here’s what it would do for low-income families. by Chabeli Carrazana for The 19th
- BIPOC book creators are calling out Islamophobia at St. Martin’s Press by Natasha Ishak for Prism
- Systems of oppression beget systems of oppression by People Over Plastics
- A Terrifying 300 Anti-LGBTQ+ Bills Have Already Been Introduced in 2024 by James Factora for Them
- Colorado Democrats Propose Bill to Limit Book Bans by Chris Walker for Truthout
As always, I like to highlight different organizations, movements and areas to support financially in each Allyship Check-in, if you’re able. For 2023, I’ve decided to continue what I did in 2022. Therefore, I’ll commit to $20 a month to a different organization, for as long as it’s feasibly possible for me.
This month, I donated to Emergency Relief for Gaza.
- The following options are reshared from a “weekend edition” article from the ARD team as places to donate to:
- Other places include: Palestine Children’s Relief Fun and Doctors Without Borders
- Donate $4 to make the 4 day, 32-hour work week a reality, supporting WorkFour
- Support the Association of Farmworker Opportunity Programs
If you want to go deeper than articles or blog posts collected in this month’s Allyship Check-in, look no further! Check out the non-fiction below to learn more and dive deeper. Then, read, buy and promote the fiction books by BIPOC and queer authors–or, share your own recommendations in the comments.
- The Civil Rights Road to Deeper Learning: Five Essentials of Equity by Kia Darling-Hammond and Linda Darling-Hammond
Thank you for reading and engaging with this latest Allyship Check-In post! I hope you learned something new, deepened your knowledge about important issues and found different ways to get involved.
These posts are always my least viewed. But I hope they continue to be helpful for those who do engage in this work. And, maybe, those who haven’t started will be encouraged to!