Last Updated on February 1, 2024 by ThoughtsStained
Yes, it’s true! I’m resurrecting my Bookish Breakdown series, which is basically just a monthly recap of how my reading went. It’s going to be a little pared down from what it was in the past, not including personal and life updates. (If you want those, sign up for my newsletter!) Instead, it’ll focus on what I’ve read, reviews link ups and sharing some links I’ve enjoyed from other bloggers.
Let’s dive in!
Bookish Breakdown: Books Read
So, I actually felt confident I might have books in this section this month, since it’s the start of the year and I can usually stay on top of things. So, for my first bookish breakdown after not doing them for a year, how did I do?
Let’s find out.
In January, I read eight books and started a ninth.
I…am honestly speechless. While Catalyst Gate was halfway finished in 2023 and wrapped up in 2024, all the rest of the books were read in the month of January. In terms of my goal to read 3 books a month, I’d say I’m smashing it so far.
I wasn’t feeling too well during the first week and ended up reading both Dead Silence and Just Like Home by January 4th. I worked through some overdue ARCs in The Stardust Thief and The Liar’s Knot. Meanwhile, We Ride the Storm was my first reread of the year, plus a book selected from my priority reads of 2024 goals! I also got a romance in through You Only Love Twice, finally getting back into Bec McMaster. Plus completed my first 2024 ARC with Fathomfolk.
I’m also reading at least one antiracist book a month. I finally started a highly anticipated Hood Feminism by Mikki Kendall. I think I should have it finished by the end of this week, so honestly, it’s like I read it in January.
So, I went from reading the same number of books in half a year last year in 30 days. I hope to keep up reading, though I know I won’t be hitting such a high number every month (there’s just too much to do).
Now, here’s some fun stats, just because I like them. Eventually I hope to add graphs, taken from StoryGraph, to this part, but I couldn’t figure out how to screenshot them, so that’s next month’s goal! 😅
This month, I:
- Read books only by female or non-binary authors
- A third of my books were by BIPOC authors, while a quarter were by queer authors
- Three books were over 500+ pages, with a total of 3596 pages read
- Two were audiobooks I rented from the library to help me explore this format and get caught out on some of my owned books in print
- Five were ARCs, four overdue but my first one in 2024 actually read on time (!!), with one reread
- Horror made an appearance (twice!)
- My average read time was 8.5 days per book, with my fastest reading an entire book in one day (Dead Silence) and my longest taking 18 days (The Liar’s Knot)
- Ratings ranged between 3 and 4.75 gems, with an average of 4.03
Recommended Blog Hopping
I really missed sharing some of my favorite links from when I was blog hopping, so I wanted to bring that back. So, every bookish breakdown will also include some of my favorite links I’ve read from other bloggers.
This month’s includes:
- Kal @ Reader Voracious‘ 2024 Reading Backlist Challenge (I signed up!)
- Charvi @ Not Just Fiction‘s A Beginners Guide to Falling in Love with Audiobooks
(I did sort of forget I wanted to do this, so hopefully more links next month!)
Thanks for joining me as I resurrect my Bookish Breakdown series once more! I won’t lie, I definitely missed these types of posts, so I’m excited to bring them back. It was so fun to write. 🥰
Please share your posts that you really loved writing this month!! Or, the books you read, what you loved and what you hated. Or opinions about the books I read. I’d love to know, so please share down in the comments below!
See you next month! 🖤