Welcome back to another monthly post in my Novels and Narrations blog series! In this series, you get updates on my writing in all facets: from celebrations and excitement to dealing with imposter syndrome, hopelessness and rejection. Thanks, as always, for caring about my work as a writer and supporting me in this way. ❤
Writing Intentions for the Year
As a quick refresher, here are my writing intentions for the year:
- Create a healthy, low-pressure but regularly-kept writing routine
- Continue to work on my MFA and work to improve potential writing weaknesses
- Write draft zero of my fantasy romance WIP, tentatively titled THE BECKONED AND THE BOUND (TBATB)
- Form more friendships with writers and better support those friends who are already on this writing journey with me
So, now that we’re refreshed, how did I do in April?
My specific goals for April were as follows:
- Write 4X a week, specifically
- Monday: 6:30-7:30
- Tuesday: 6:30-7:30
- Thursday: 6:00-6:30
- Saturday: 10:00-11:00
- Complete research book one and start research book two
- Continue to enjoy writing and make it a priority
- Connect with more writer friends?
So, I won’t lie: I completely forgot these goals, particularly their specificity. However, it wasn’t a complete wash. I did manage to complete my first research book: Viking Age. I also met with my MFA advisor to discuss it and made a game plan for research over the summer. (You can read more about that here.)
However, I wrote very little. I still managed to write and finish chapter 2 in my current WIP. I also started on chapter 3 this week. In terms of grad school, though, I did write a short screenplay and just started the first act of a longer screenplay this month. Both of these are due by mid-May. I can’t deny that I’ve used some writing time away from my WIP to complete this. Yet, my brain doesn’t allow me to count that, since it’s not for a book?
Make it make sense.
So, despite not doing as much as I wanted in April, I do have some clear hopes for May. They are:
- Complete screenplays for grad class
- Make writing a priority
- Create plan for summer research project
- Also map out writing goals for second half of the year
After work got a little bit hectic in April. I’m not sure how that will look in May, but I do hope to write more in my WIP. I’d at least like to get to the point where the quest starts. That’d be really lovely. But, I think I need to reframe my focus in my brain to recognize screenwriting homework does count as writing. And reframe my expectations for my WIP progress to match.
Plus, I’d like to really think about what I want to accomplish this year. I know we’re not quite at the halfway point (yet), but I think some reevaluation would be helpful.
I miss the change of pace feel of my last Novels and Narrations post, where I got to report writing a lot more. 😂 But, I’m not going to let myself get discouraged! I can do this, writing is important to me and it deserves to be given attention. At least, that’s what I’m trying to tell myself, until I believe it.
Thanks for supporting me in my own journey and reading another installment of Novels and Narrations! ❤