Welcome back to another monthly post in my Novels and Narrations blog series! In this series, you get updates on my writing in all facets: from celebrations and excitement to dealing with imposter syndrome, hopelessness and rejection. Thanks, as always, for caring about my work as a writer and supporting me in this way. ❤
Writing Intentions for the Year
As a quick refresher, here are my writing intentions for the year:
- Create a healthy, low-pressure but regularly-kept writing routine
- Continue to work on my MFA and work to improve potential writing weaknesses
- Write draft zero of my fantasy romance WIP, tentatively titled THE BECKONED AND THE BOUND (TBATB)
- Form more friendships with writers and better support those friends who are already on this writing journey with me
So, now that we’re refreshed, how did I do in May?
My specific goals for May were as follows:
- Complete screenplays for grad class
- Make writing a priority
- Create plan for summer research project
- Also map out writing goals for second half of the year
So, I think I did okay! I did complete my screenplays for my grad class and passed the course (woo!). I also have plans either later today or Monday to map out my summer research project and map out writing goals. Technically, that’s still before Wednesday when June hits, so…
In terms of making writing a priority, I don’t feel I did that. It always came last (if at all). BUT, I still did manage to write 15 days in May and a little over 8,000 words. Despite struggling, this is definitely a win.
June is going to be a mixed beast. I have high goals. They are:
- Put writing first
- Regularly work on and make progress in summer writing project
- Continue to draft TBATB
However, I know it’s going to be a challenge. June starts orientation season during the day job, which is always a challenge. It’s just a really draining time and it’s eight weeks straight. So, I know it’s going to be a balancing act. However, I really want to get a lot done this summer, because the fall semester is always even worse. Plus, I’ll have a class on top of that, so…yay for being overcommitted! 😅
In all honestly, I felt like I did shit with writing recently. But, 8,000 words in a month?? That’s fantastic! I really hope I can build upon that momentum and perhaps even start the quest in my WIP. I hope your own writing is going well. Let me know in the comments what you’re working on. I want to cheer you on!
Thanks for supporting me in my own journey and reading another installment of Novels and Narrations! ❤