Last Updated on December 20, 2022 by ThoughtsStained
We all know that I’m a huge Bec McMaster fan, yes? I fell in love with her work ever since I read Kiss of Steel. While her London Steampunk and Blueblood Conspiracy series are my all time favorites, Promise of Darkness will be my first into her Dark Court Rising series.
Though it still doesn’t live up to her steampunk works I enjoy so much, Promise of Darkness was a solid read for me! Read on to find out why. (Though, it is one of my favorite covers out of all of them.)
Publisher: Lochaber Press | Release Date: September 2019 | Pages: 430
Age Range: Adult | Genre: Fantasy Romance | Format: Paperback | Source: Gift
Princess. Tribute. Sacrifice. Is she the one prophesied to unite two warring Fae courts? Or the one bound to destroy them?
In a realm ruled by magic, the ruthless Queen of Thorns is determined to destroy her nemesis, the cursed Prince of Evernight.
With war brewing between the bitter enemies, the prince forces Queen Adaia to uphold an ancient treaty: she will send one of her daughters to his court as a political hostage for three months.
The queen insists it’s the perfect opportunity for Princess Iskvien to end the war before it begins. But one look into Thiago’s smoldering eyes and Vi knows she’s no assassin.
The more secrets she uncovers about the prince and his court, the more she begins to question her mother’s motives.
Who is the true enemy? The dark prince who threatens her heart? Or the ruthless queen who will stop at nothing to destroy him?
And when the curse threatens to shatter both courts, is her heart strong enough to break it?
A fairytale twist inspired by the Hades and Persephone myth.
On the Page
- Abusive relationships (mother and daughter)
- Amnesia and memory disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Memory disorders
- Abuse and neglect
- Animal attack
- Parental abuse and neglect
Content warnings are written up by me, unless specified. Subject to being an incomplete list, though guided by referencing this list and trying to highlight as many as I can identify.
- Plot and plot twist: I usually can’t figure out a plot twist to save my life. I’ve always struggled with it. So, when I guessed a part of this plot twist and got it right!? I was so excited. When I didn’t guess was the reason behind the plot twist, which I thought was perfectly executed and absolutely engaging.
- Chemistry: It’s not a McMaster novel if there isn’t off the charts chemistry. Thank god this delivered, because that was exactly what I was looking for.
- Writing: Another element I love about McMaster is that she’s just such a strong writer. I love how she balances the worldbuilding with the romance plot.
- Foreboding ending: So, normally, this wouldn’t bother me. And, getting to read a trilogy about a couple is super exciting (I haven’t done that since I read Amanda Bouchet’s Kingmaker Chronicles).
Yet, the summary for the next books make it seem impossible for the couple to make it and, with all the shit going in the world, I’m not quite sure I’m ready for that yet. 😅
Promise of Darkness by Bec McMaster was a solid read for me. Fae isn’t usually my cup of tea, to be honest, which is one of the main reasons I waited so long to read this book. However, if you do enjoy fae stories, you’re going to love this. If you don’t, I think the writing, plot twist and chemistry between Vi and Thiago make up for it.
Patreon | Newsletter | Editorial Services | Twitter | Instagram | Kofi
Let Me Know Your Thoughts!