Author: Michael Sliter Genre: Fantasy (Grimdark) Publisher: Self-Published
**I received a copy from the author as a gift**
**Trigger warnings: rape, miscarriage, violence, blood, war, physical abuse, kidnapping and torture**
- Well-written and enjoyable to read. I’m not sure what it was, but I was immediately swept into this story and just enjoyed in immensely. It was easy to get situated into this world and I enjoyed the slow unfolding of characters, plots and various threads coming together to weave throughout the larger narrative. It was easy to read 50+ pages in a sitting and hard to put down!
- Complex plot and characters. Likewise, I enjoyed the plot and the characters, especially. All of our characters are complex and varied, and I have things I like and dislike about each of them (though Emma is my favorite). I’m very curious to see what happens in the next book of the series!
- Both surprised and validated. This is rare for me, but I was able to guess a plot point before it happened, picking up the clues before the character did, which made me feel awesome. But, there were also plenty of things I didn’t predict, which is not only on par for me usually, but also was just pleasant to experience and spoke to the depth within this story.
- Rape. I already had seen this trigger warning before reading this book, so I knew what I was getting into and, while I still highly enjoyed this book, I am over rape being used as a plot point within the genre entirely, so it’s an aspect I automatically dislike whenever I see it used within any book.
- Formatting. This is such a minor thing, but the fact that there were spaces between every paragraph made me sad. 😂
- Questionable plot-threads. I can’t speak more because of spoilers, but there is one plot-thread in particular that felt underdeveloped and forgotten most of the book, until it comes up again at the end, which was just a bit confusing.
I don’t read a ton of grimdark, but I thoroughly enjoyed this! Very happy that a book I’ve been looking forward to for a while did not disappoint!